Monday, May 9, 2011

Do-A-Dot

I have to admit.  I hate painting with my kids.  What a mess.  I think it takes longer to set the whole disaster up than for them to paint.  They love it, though, so I suffer through it.  I figure we're making memories, right?  That said, I have to say that I discovered the most awesome product today at of all places, TJ Maxx.  I never go there, and now I will have to change that.  (Along with my fine art purchase I got a new Hop Skip Duo Deluxe diaper bag on the cheap!)  Anyway, I got off topic.  My new favorite art purchase is Do-a-dot paint.  There is seriously no mess with these babies.  Shake, twist off cap, dot away.  There are books that you can buy specifically for Do-a-dot art, but there are tons of free printables online as well. 

This one is a penguin that I printed from the internet. 

It was easy enough for Abby to enjoy as well.  She knew exactly what colors she wanted and where.

This printable is from my favorite homeschooling blog, Confessions of a homeschooler.  I bought her Letter of the Week curriculum awhile back, and every letter has a Do-a-dot activity...several of them, actually.  I would usually use small pom-poms to do these activities, but paint, I assure you all, is much more fun!

Here are some of William and Abby's finished projects.  Drying time is super short because very little paint is actually used.  Score!  (I'm not sure why the letter "M" and "L" printed off, when I was clearly wanting to print off the "S" and "T" but whatever.  Technology isn't always my friend.)

To spice things up, we did some tie dying as well.  Using a coffee filter, decorate with paint dots. 

Then spritz with water, twirling the filter to allow the paint to drip in cool patterns.  Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the final product.  I will vouch that it turned out pretty neat.  

2 comments:

Grandma A said...

PRETTY COOL INDEED!! GLAD YOU FOUND
NEW RESOURCES, THAT'S ALWAYS NICE..)
HUGS & KISSES, GRANNY "A"

Gina said...

Looks like tons of fun!!