Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My Deception Needs Some Work


For my birthday my sister-in-law got me a new cookbook called Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. It's a creative cookbook on getting your kids to eat more healthy, by disguising fruit and veggie purees in favorite foods. There are recipes such as chocolate cake laced with beets, chocolate chip cookies with cauliflower, and main dishes, such as potato soup, with cauliflower and squash.

The trick is to make the purees ahead of time, so you can pull them out of the freezer/fridge whenever needed. Today I made several purees - squash and cauliflower. William pretty much eats anything and everything (as long as it's fairly soft - he's only got 6 teeth!). I just thought this was the most creative cookbook I've seen, since even the "junk food" recipes have healthy fruits and vegetables disguised in them.

I just got the book this past weekend, so I haven't had much time to try very many of the recipes, but today I did make the potato soup.

It. Was. Delish.

It tasted more like mashed potatoes than a soup, but it was so yummy! The only problem with my soup was that it turned out quite orange, due to the butternut squash. The picture in the cookbook showed the soup a white color (the whole idea is to "deceive" your little ones into eating veggies and fruits) so I'm going to have to work on it a bit more. However, I will make it again, as it was very tasty! It was really nice sitting down to eat, and William being able to eat the same food as we ate. He kept saying "nummy nummy", so I know it was a hit!

I will keep ya'all posted on any other recipes I try.

3 comments:

Tennisc G said...

Sounds GOOD!
If you need a "test audience" for the cookies, we're here for ya!!!

Gina & Andy

Anonymous said...

I loved the book. I got it for Christmas and I've adopted all the techniques although I'm not sure I've made one of her recipes complete. If my chicken soup turns pink/red because of the pureed beets... I just call it's "Loads of Love Chicken Soup" The side benefit is... I eat more veggies than I used to... who know I'd actually eat brussel sprouts. ;-)

Anonymous said...

This is a really great way to introduce healthy eating to kids! It's really important that they eat well so that they can get all the proper nutrition that they need. As a busy mother to 7 kids, good nutrition is also crucial in raising them to be bright, happy and healthy kids!