Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Here Birdie, Birdie

We've been busy! After tubby time I promised W we'd go outside and play with his bubbles and lawnmower. He was ecstatic that I actually let him play with his toys instead of putting him in the car seat to go bye bye. He found a lizard on the porch that he was amazed with, then a mama bird and a little bird that either couldn't fly well or was just learning to fly. He chased those birds up and down the street! The mama bird didn't fly very far because she didn't want to leave her baby behind, so she was chirping like crazy at W to leave them alone! He thought the whole thing was a game and kept pointing and laughing and asking what it was. It reminded me of a book my mom read to us as kids where the characters were animals and the animals would be thinking things like "I wish the humans would just go away and let us live in peace". After awhile the mama bird's incessant chirping alerted other birds, who decided to join her in her mission of scaring away my son. We were soon surrounded by little birds, all trying to protect the baby bird, who was in the middle of the road, being chased down. (Diagram THAT!) I did eventually have pity on the birds, and pointed W in another direction, away from our feathery friends. It was cute, though, since this is sort of the first time he's noticed the birds and paid them any mind.

2 comments:

Tennisc G said...

Awwwwww... so cute!

Kind of reminds me also of the book "Are you My Mother?" ... glad the baby bird survived "playing" with William.

Love ya,
Aunt G

Kim H said...

Oh how funny! I never knew other birds would come to defend another baby. Poor thing.