Saturday, June 6, 2009

First Do No Harm

William had another eye appointment at the ophthalmologist this afternoon. I decided that since the last 2 appointments were horrible disasters, that I'd bring out the big guns - a juice box. He's only had one in his short life, and I decided that they will be used as a reward or, in this case, a bribe to be good.

The doctor saw us sitting in the waiting room and I think he had to go in the back room to clear his head and brace himself for lots of crying and screams. He called us back, but this time he had taken off his white coat (William seems to have a bad thing going for white coats). The doctor was all smiles, as usual, but before he did a single eye test William was in tears. I immediately brought out the juice box and nummies. Believe it or not, the tears didn't last very long as he was a bit pacified with the juice. John held him in his lap in the exam chair, while I stood behind the doctor away trying to get him to focus on me while the doctor checked his eyes. It was determined that the left eye was now wandering a little more than the right eye. However at home I can't say that I've seen the left eye wandering, so the doctor, not wanting to cause harm to his eyes, decided that for the next 2 weeks we will not patch either eye, but instead I've got some homework - I have to teach William a series of pictures, and he has to learn to actually say the words, so that in two weeks, when we have our next appointment, the doctor can verbally ask William what picture he sees projected on the wall. He said this test is much more accurate than the tests he's been doing.

I know our boy can handle learning these pictures and words, the hard part will be convincing him to say them in the presence of the doctor, who he really doesn't like very much. Both John and I were very impressed with William at this appointment, praising him tons for being such a good boy!

3 comments:

Grandma A said...

GO WILLIAM!!! GLAD THERE WAS SOMETHING MORE INTERESTING TO HIM THAN THAT OL' DR!!....=) WE'RE PROUD OF HIM TOO.....-) I KNOW HE'LL BE ABLE TO LEARN THOSE PICTURE WORDS, HE'S A "WHIZ KID"....
HUGS,
GRANNY "A" PS SEE, IT'S GETTING BETTER AND BETTER....=)

Kellee Sluder said...

Does William have the DVD "Elmo Visits the Doctor"? Wyatt was deathly afraid of doctors and I got him the DVD to help with that issue. After watching the DVD numerous times, Wyatt now LOVES to go to the doctor and even lifts his shirt up so the doctor can listen to his heart. It may be worth it to give the DVD a shot. It worked wonders for Wyatt. Good luck with the homework. I;m sure William will do great!

Leah said...

I've never heard of that Elmo video - he LOVES Elmo books, so I'm going to give the video a whirl! Thanks!