Thursday, September 22, 2011

Goodnight Moon

I know, I'm a little behind in blogging about our book reading, I mean rowing.  We had company over this past week and we weren't able to do any of our preschool work, so we went a few days over into this week finishing up the activities I had planned for this book.  It was a simple book, but surprisingly both kids really loved it.

They love doing Do-A-Dot painting, and we hadn't done it in awhile, so I got some printouts of the letter "M" and they went to town painting the letter. 

They also did a poke pin page of the letter "M".

Abby got a new pencil box from Grandma and she's addicted to the glue stick.  It's purple, and she's in love with it.  Here she's not really gluing anything...just "painting" with the purple stick.  Oh, and that Mod Podge in the corner?  Oh yeah!  I found the neatest craft, pinned it on my Pintrest board, and actually did it.  I know, I know...you're aching to see it, but that craft has nothing to do with moons and the letter "M".  You'll have to wait for another post.  

I struggled with finding activities for this book, so we learned about the different phases of the moon.  Since finding activities that corresponded with this book was hard, we did more work in his Abeka K4 book and his Kumon workbooks. 
***********************************************
I know you all are wanting to know about the worms.  It was brought to my attention that they are probably not tomato worms but tobacco worms.  I agree.  Either way, they like eating tomato plant leaves and stalks, and within hours their little habitats that we set up for them were completely bare of foliage.  What remained were humongous piles of frass.  (That's scientific language for "poop".)  By my calculations they were going at a rate of 1-1.5 PPH.  You know, Pellets Per Hour.  I won't even go into how bad they smelled, after only several hours (and many, many pellets later!).  Simply put, they are gone.  To worm haven.  And I don't think the kids have even noticed. 

2 comments:

Grandma A said...

OH MY GOODNESS!! WELL, GLAD THE WORMS ARE GONE!! THEY DID LOOK VERY MUCH LIKE THE TOMATO WORMS WE HAD IN LAKEWOOD...=) TOBACCO WORMS ARE EVEN LARGER AND UGLIER!!! GRANDMA LIKED THE BOOK "GOODNIGHT MOON" TOO.=) HUGS TO ALL, GRANNY "A"

Kim H said...

Love the updates! You all look like you've been busy! Can't wait to see the finished school room (and Abby's room). Wow, I can't believe that huge mommy worm! How did you "dispose" of the thing?