Friday, June 24, 2011

A retraction

I'm still learning about the whole gardening thing and calling each veggie by it's correct name.  So, if you'll excuse me while I make a retraction of sorts, I'd be much obliged.  Our cucumbers, which were growing so great, aren't exactly cucumbers.  We have been enjoying fresh garden salad with our "cucumbers" and last night I sliced them and poured vinegar and chili powder over them for a salad of sorts.  Every time John would eat one he'd comment on how odd they tasted...that maybe they weren't ripe enough...that they were so dense.  But I assured him that they were huge and therefore ripe, and that maybe our ultra organic soil was causing them to be extra dense.  I mean, really - they were labeled cucumbers on our garden grid so obviously they are cucumbers.  (How's that for logic!) But last night John again commented on how dense they were, so I jumped up and got out the seed packed from the fridge.  Sure enough, they are NOT cucumbers but zucchini.  We now have zucchini coming out of our garden like you wouldn't believe.  I'm thrilled, actually, since I have lots of recipes that call for zucchini.  (Our cucumber plants are still fairly small, but there are quite a few baby cukes growing.) 



Blog...meet zucchini.  Zucchini...meet blog.

William helped me harvest some of our greens, and when I said, "Smile for the camera!", this is what I got.  Gotta love those forced smiles!



And see this beast of a plant?  (Actually in both corners.)  It's our cilantro.  I'm sure of it, so don't worry.  Who knew it would grow so humongous!  It's so big we can almost park a lawn chair next to it and get shade from it.  You can sort of see our basil plants are thriving as well (there are a few rogue basil plants in with the chives that I need to take out before they squelch out the chives).  

3 comments:

Grandma A said...

THAT IS SO FUNNY AS WHEN I SAW THE PIX THE OTHER DAY, I THOUGHT, BOY THAT LOOKS LIKE ZUCCHINI BUT NEVER QUESTIONED IT...TEE HEE....OH WELL, THERE ARE "LOTS OF USES" FOR ZUCCHINI AND THE BREAD FREEZES WELL...HAVE FUN, "MOM"

Leah said...

John said zucchini as well, but I was quite certain it was cucumbers, because our garden chart said so! We laughed quite hard when we realized we had been putting zucchini on all our salads...and that I bought a zucchini for another recipe! lol

Gina said...

Andy & I are soooo jealous of your snap peas... alas, ours were demolished by the ground hog =(

Enjoy the Zucch!