Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Spring!

It's the first day of spring today so I thought we'd celebrate by making new things.  First was the addition of a new throw pillow.  My wall in the living room is ORANGE (and I love it!) and I wanted a little something new for the brown couch that is against it.  After having priced out new pillows I rejected the idea of buying a new one and instead recovered an old ugly one. 

I found this awesome material in my school room that I had planned on using to recover my office chair.  Yeeeaah....that never happened, so I dug it out and sewed it over the drab pillow.  I love how it turned out.  What makes it even better was that I did it in under an hour.  (Is that obvious?)  What makes it even more better is that I don't own a sewing machine, nor have I ever taken sewing lessons.  (Unless I count that one summer my mom and labored over these ridiculous pj's.  She insisted that she teach me to sew, because who knows if I'd ever be in dire straights and need to make my own clothes, right?  I love you, Mom.  Look what your sewing lessons taught me!) 

This pillow now makes me happy. 

The kids and I also made our very first beet bread of the year.  It had to be beet instead of just plain 'ole wheat, because beet bread is pink.  Pink means spring.  We enjoyed warm bread for dinner tonight with a pot of pea soup.  Don't judge.  It's still a mite cold here.

Happy first day of spring, my peeps!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Wow! Outstanding machine-less sewing job! Love the vivid colors!
:-)

Kim H said...

So cute! Love the fabric! Was that just a running stitch? It looks so professional! You have a really great eye for perfect proportion and spacing of your stitches.

Grandma A said...

NICE JOB......LOOKS LIKE A PROFESSIONAL JOB TO ME...=) COLD HERE TOO, 7" OF SNOW ON THE GROUND TONITE, 33 AT 9PM, MAY KEEP SOME OF THE COLD AND WISH I HAD SOME OF YOUR SOUP TOO!! HAVE A GREAT "SPRING" WEEK...HUGS, GA