Friday, December 4, 2009

Christmas

We have been getting our Christmas things out since Thanksgiving...a little at a time. Yesterday we got out tiny, 32 inch light-up tree out and William fell in love. He'll sit in front of it and say, "Christmas tree....Christmas tree..." and want me to sit next to him to "watch it". (It's one of those trees where the lights change colors.) Even Abby is pretty mesmerized by it. We put out lights on our porch, as well as candy canes at the bottom of the stairs. Each night, or when it gets dark, William reminds me: "Candy canes on...lights on." He never forgets.

He's not a huge fan of Santa, as one time, when we went into the Do-It Center, I suggested we look at the trees and lights. There was this tall, stationary Santa...well, I unknowingly parked the cart by it, and suddenly the thing sprang to life, moving this way and that, singing Feliz Navidad. William freaked out. Big time. We couldn't leave the store fast enough. So now when we go into the stores he always panics a little, saying "No Santa, no Santa."

A neighbor down the way a little bit also put up lights...and a HUGE blow up penguin. (I didn't know penguins were Christmasy, but whatever.) William, Abby, and I had walked to Sophia's house to drop off some Knoor (chicken seasoning) and exactly as we were walking out the door the neighbor girl plugged in the penguin and the thing sprang up on her porch, lighting up and everything. William completely lost it, screaming. Huge tears ran down his cheaks. He was so scared I had to run Abby home so I could come back to carry William. (The girl felt bad, so she unplugged it so we could walk by in relative peace.)

Other than that, it's been fun watching William enjoy Christmas this year! I'm hoping we'll be able to get out sometime soon to look for other lights in the neigborhood...as long as there are no singing Santas or inflatable penguins!

4 comments:

Grandma A said...

TOO BAD THAT SANTA HAS A BAD MEMORY FOR WILLIAM.....GIVE HIM ANOTHER YEAR OR TWO....GLAD LIGHTS ARE KEEPING HIM BUSY RIGHT NOW....=)
HUGS, GRANNY "A"

Tennisc G said...

Have you heard of Hall-Marks's "Elf on the Shelf"? Some of my NJ colleagues were talking about it... sounded cute!

Kim H said...

Poor guy! So traumatized as just a bystander. I guess you're not going to try getting a picture with Santa. Hope your holidays are scare-free from now on.

Angie said...

Speaking of Santa memories...my dad reminded me tonight that I was the one (along with my twin bro) that ruined your hubby's belief in Santa...we were raised knowing Santa wasn't real, so I guess when Carole made a comment about Santa visiting us or something, we confidently replied 'there's no such thing as Santa' within earshot of John. I guess from that day on, John didn't believe in him anymore either! I had totally forgotten that!! :)