Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Cherries

My son found a new hobby - cherry picking! We left this morning for our first cherry picking excursion and had a blast. I packed Abby in the umbrella stroller and gave instructions to William not to run away from me. "I'm a big kid, Mamma. I won't run away." Alrighty then.

We got our red bucket and a nice guy showed us the way. William thought it was so neat to see all the cherries on the trees. His friends across the street have gone picking several times but he had yet to go, so he talked lots of cherry picking but had no real idea what it was all about.



While we picked Abby happily sat under a tree and watched us. That is until she realized that her milk was packed in behind her. Then all she wanted to do was stand up in the stroller to try to get it. I eventually fed her while William picked some more. He was on a serious roll.

In a little over an hour of picking together we managed to pick 11 pounds of cherries! I was shocked. Not sure if I was more shocked at the price I had to pay for all of them or if it was the fact that we picked 11 pounds of them. Probably a little of both.

Before we left William had to have his picture next to the "monster truck".

On the way home he asked if we could go back and get some more. I told him we'll be eating these cherries a long, long time.

4 comments:

Tennisc G said...

How fun!
Come on back here, William...we're gonna have a TON of blackberries to pick in the next couple of weeks...YUM!

Tennisc G said...

Perhaps William can show Aunt Gina & Uncle Andy how to pick cherries in a couple of weeks?? He's a PRO! ...sounds fun!

Kim H said...

What fun! The kids look like they suddenly sprouted too. Don't worry, I'm sure the cherries will go pretty fast (it sure does in our house)! Or you can bake a few pies (and freeze one or two).

Grandma A said...

HOW FUN.....NOW THAT WILLIAM IS A PRO AT THIS, HE'LL BE WANTING TO PICK, PICK, PICK....=) WE HAVE BLACKBERRIES COMING SOON TOO....
CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU ALL!! GRANNY "A"