Friday, August 15, 2008

Will The Worries EVER Cease?

I recently had a colloquy with a friend who invoked the question as to how mothers actually enjoy going on a vacation with their brood. It doesn't actually have to be a vacation. It can be anything. A picnic. An afternoon at the pool. The beach. Name it.

Due to incessant worrying about nap times, feedings, fussiness, etc. it's hard to enjoy a vacation/outing and just relax. I join her in her quest for truth: When can one (and by "one" I mean Mother) just sit back, relax, unwind...without the constant pressures of motherhood?

I have a feeling the answer is never.

We're doomed.

As soon as we pass the stage of 24/7 nursings, we move on to the crawling phase. The never-ending phase of wondering "what did he get into now?" "where did he go?" "why won't he stop that annoying banging?" "I wish he wouldn't destroy ALL my nice things"....the list goes on and on.

Then enter the toddling phase. We're not quite up to this one yet, so I can't get all philosophical on you, but watching my friends deal with this joyful phase is making me want to ball up my young 'un and shove him back up me.

Ok. Not really. I like him out.

I don't think mothers ever really get a break until their hoydens leave the nest.

Then again....probably not! I find myself constantly calling my mom. (Sorry Mom!)

At least she doesn't have to worry about me crawling over to the fan and sticking my fingers in it!

3 comments:

Grandma A said...

ALL TOO SOON IT IS OVER FOR THOSE PRECIOUS YEARS OF BABYHOOD, TODDLING ABOUT, INQUISITIVENESS, ETC.....WHEN YOUR KIDS ENTER PREPUBESCENCE, YOU'LL BE WONDERING IF THE TEEN YEARS CAN BE ANY WORSE??? EACH STAGE IS QUITE A SAGA BUT OH SO SHORT!! TAKE MY WORD FOR IT, ALL TOO SOON YOU'LL BE WONDERING WHERE "THESE" YEARS WENT...
AND YOU WANT "HOW MANY KIDS"????
HEHEHEHEHEEEEE
LOVE YA, GRANNY "A"

Anonymous said...

I am right there in the throes of wondering this with you! I'm never relaxed, especially away from home...always thinking about and planning the next feeding, nap, etc, wondering when the peace will be broken, hoping and praying that the crankiness doesn't meltdown until we get home. I feel so conflicted too, asking "when will this end?" and yet "he's growing so fast!" I really feel like motherhood is a neverending sports event and rest will never come. Hang in there, I'm right there with you!

Michigan momma said...

I agree with you, Carole!
Leah, those days will soon be over! As for those phone calls...keep 'em coming...it's fun being at the "grandma" end (right Carole??) Motherhood is NEVER ending! and I wouldn't want it to!
Love,
mom